Neigh .................

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Apr 21, 2018.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Its almost Derby Day here in Louisville. Today/tonight is Thunder over Louisville , the kick off to the Kentucky Derby Festival. Two weeks of parties, concerts, events leading up to the Kentucky Derby. Thunder comprises an Air Show and the largest annual Fireworks display in the U.S.. Average attendance for the Air Show/Fireworks is approx. 625,000 and its held on both sides of the river. I don't attend in person anymore but I've been to a couple, now if I watch at all its on T.V.
    [​IMG]

In another week or so we have "The Great Steamboat" race pitting The Belle of Louisville against at least one and sometimes 3 or 4 other Steamboat Paddlewheelers. That's actually a lot of fun to watch believe it or not.
    [​IMG]

We get English horses fairly regularly for the Derby as well as Saudi Arabian ones. Its a fairly big deal in the Horse Racing world and the first leg of The Triple Crown so the Ky. Derby gets the crème de la crème of the Thoroughbreds.

So....... any racing fans in here? Are any of these festivities shown over there?

2. neilold

neilold Science Officer

No but we have the grand national which I've been to a few times

3. BigOleDummy

Kentucky is kind of the Thoroughbred Capital of the world, the horse barns/fields you can see from the Interstate (Highway) are something to see. Lol, those horses live in better "houses" than I EVER have :-S.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah....... those are "Barn's"..... for horses.

4. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Yes, it's still a very cruel sport though

5. BigOleDummy

6. BigOleDummy

As I mentioned earlier, Thunder is the biggest annual fireworks display in the U.S. Had some new bits this year and had to change up a bit. The "waterfall" that usually falls from the 2nd St. bridge was seriously curtailed and minimized due to that , which is a shame for me because that's always one of my favorite parts. Was an excellent show though!

Best, imo, bits are at 4:11 , 9:44 , 10:11 , 15:25 , 19:45 , the finale starts at 22:00 and kicks into high gear at 26:00

The River is at flood stage so a lot of bank space wasn't there like usual but still over half a million people were there.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  7. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

8. BigOleDummy

Which ones Cher?

9. BigOleDummy

The next big event for the Derby Festival is the Kentucky Derby Balloon Race. They always bring a few down to the riverfront and light them up a day or so before the race:

[​IMG]

Then go back out to the Fairgrounds for the actual start :

[​IMG]