Do you tattoo to????

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

I've had one small one done recently, on the inside of my right forearm I have the Umbrella Corporation symbol about an inch wide. Most people who've seen it seem to like it, the tattooist who did it took a picture for her portfolio which I took as a positive sign. The majority of people recognise it either from the games, the movies or both, although one of my friends obviously doesn't as she refers to it as a dart board or a pizza.

I'm considering my next one, I have a few ideas but am not sure which to go for at this stage but I'll probably go back for more.

2. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

No tattoos and no plans for any.

3. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

I'm thinking about get one but not totally sure,I want four lines around my wrist one for each of my boys spaced apart like there ages if that makes sense:lol:

4. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

It makes perfect sense. If you're a tree. :-)

5. Simonr1978

I think I've narrowed down my second to a choice of two at the moment, though I'm not completely sure which to go for. I may end up asking the forum for advice, having said even if I do so I may still end up ignoring that advice too.

It makes sense to me, IIRC from the tattooist who did mine they can be a bit reluctant to go directly on the wrist as you tend to flex a bit more around there and especially if it's your first if you flinch it might be an issue. Mine was done about 6 inches back from the wrist, but that was where I wanted it anyway.

Would you intend on going for plain lines almost like a barcode or something a bit more stylised?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  6. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I have no tattoo's and no intention of getting any but I do like seeing good tats that others have, so many bad one's though I think it must be a compulsory thing that tattoo artists have to learn how to spell incorrectly.

7. Simonr1978

I've seen the "No Regerts" tattoos and hope at least that they're being deliberately ironic. I think I've settled on what I'm going to have done next, I'm just not sure whether to go for standard arabic numerals or Roman numerals, I like the idea of the latter but am concerned it might look a little pretentious, although as it's intended to be mostly hidden it probably doesn't matter.

After that, I've narrowed it down to a choice of four different designs. I may turn to the forum in the form of a non binding poll as to which to go for.

8. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

I think setting your money on fire and then shredding what is left is a better use than a tattoo.

9. Simonr1978

Thanks for sharing. I disagree however, if it's done frivolously then perhaps, but arguably that's true of many other things such as going to a pub or restaurant, the cinema or -insert other example here-. At least in my case with my tattoo I will still have it long after I've paid the money over for having it done and in my case whilst it may seem fairly flippant, the significance for me personally goes far deeper than might initially be apparent*. Just to be clear here it wasn't a snap decision and it took me decades before I settled on a design and so far I have zero regrets. Just to put things in perspective, in the time since I've had my first tattoo done I've spent far more money on alcohol and that money is well and truly gone, whilst the tattoo will be there for a long time to come.

I will certainly get more done, none of which will be decided on a whim and all will mean something significant to me on one level or another.

* It's also fun to play "Spot the gamer" since most of the former recognise the symbol instantly, to anyone else though, like a friend of mine, it's something fairly random like a pizza or dartboard

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  10. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

This reminds me of the Winston Churchill quote, or W.C. Fields joke.
    When accused of being 'disgustingly drunk' the Conservative Prime Minister responded: 'My dear, you are ugly, and what’s more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly.'
    (replace ugly with tattooed ). :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Asclepius likes this.
  11. Kenneth Williams Diary

Kenneth Williams Diary Third Technician

Kenneth- "You may not realise it, but I was once a weak man."
    Hattie- "Once a week is enough for any man."

12. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

I do the same thing.. but it's called friends and family. You look at them and don't get the same feeling but they will for me. And when I am gone they will remember me unlike a tattoo that will rot with the rest of your body.

13. Simonr1978

The same applies to practically everything though, almost everything physical rots, corrodes or decays sooner or later, even your friends and family. Memories fade and within a generation you will be pretty much completely forgotten.

You do understand that it's perfectly possible to have friends and tattoos, right? I even have friends who also have tattoos. It's not an either/or choice.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  14. BozBoo

BozBoo Deck Sergeant

I have two. One on each arm. I want one on my back but its something that requires careful consideration.

I feel that to express yourself artistically is your choice. Whether that's using your fingers for music or painting a canvas. Or using your own body as a canvas.

Simonr1978 likes this.
  15. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Tungsten never rots or corrodes. Let's all just get a load of tungsten. @dvd3500 are you a big fan of tungsten?

Simonr1978 likes this.
  16. Simonr1978

Got my second one done yesterday which is a set of Roman numerals running round my right wrist. The downside is this is the arm I usually wear my watch on so it's going to take some getting used to wearing my watch on the wrong wrist for the next couple of weeks.

17. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

If do things right the memory of you won't fade.
    I have seen some 60 and 70 year olds with tattoos... they look awful. (the people and the tattoos)

Asclepius likes this.
  18. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

That's the reason why I don't want one. You don't know, when it starts to be ugly or when you stop like it.

19. Simonr1978

Of course they will, don't be ridiculous. Human memory is incredibly fallible so even whilst the people who directly remember you are still alive and even if they're in otherwise perfect health, their memories will not be completely accurate.

Even then, unless you're incredibly famous or infamous you will be forgotten. In all honesty for most of the general public, you're more likely to be remembered if you do the wrong thing.

You can kid yourself that your great-grandchildren will be regaling their own children with tales about you and your wonderful life, the reality is they're unlikely to even know your name much less give a damn about anything you did in what will be for them ancient history. People outside of your descendants will probably care even less.

So? I've seen some 20 year olds with terrible tattoos that were completely fresh, it was one of the reasons I waited so long to get mine done, I wanted to be confident that I'd still like the tattoo in at least ten years time and that I had confidence in the artist to do a good job. I've also seen some 20 and 30 year olds who looked awful in spite of having no tattoos. For what it's worth, I'm entirely sure that none of us are going to be winning any beauty pageants in our 60s or 70s, regardless of whether we were tattooed when we were younger or not.

You don't like tattoos, I get it. But to dismiss it as a waste of money because it wont last forever (Like literally everything else) or more likely from what you've said it sounds like they're just not to your personal taste seems very narrow minded.

I think not going for tattoos which are fashionable is a good way to stop the latter. When I was in my late teens it seemed like everyone was getting Celtic bands and I have to admit that I was tempted at the time but I'm glad I decided against it since it's a decidedly dated look now.

For me though, I've got the Umbrella Corporation logo done and I've been playing and replaying the original Resident Evil games since they first came out, that's longer than some forum members have been alive. It's also got a personal significance that goes beyond being just a video game reference for me but I'm not going to go into that here.

The most recent is a coded reference to some people who have been very important to me, that importance is not going to change and neither are the reasons for me getting it done.

If the details and sharpness fade as I age, I'm fine with that because the significance will remain.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Asclepius likes this.
  20. Sammer4Rimmer

Sammer4Rimmer Supply Officer

Zebra tattoo on someone's arm (sorry that's the best I can do right now)