Dilema

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by adorabelle, Jun 8, 2009.

1. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

So we had a favourite character thread, how about a least favourite??

I think I may be comitting RD forum sucide by asking this, but, hey ho...
    So, who is your least favourite character?

If you are struggling to come up with an answer to this uncomfortable question, imagine this scenario:
    Red Dwarf is about to self-destruct, there are enough escape pods for all the crew but one. Someone will have to stay with the ship and effectively bite the bullet. Who will it be?

I would say The Cat, poor guy, he doesn't contribute as much as the others in my opinion, apart from good grooming!

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

You think you may be committing forum suicide! Wait till you hear my answer.

It's got to be Rimmer! Yes, I know on a psychological level he is the more interesting character. And I know he's the favourite of most of the girls on the forum. But he's still a smeghead who would sell the rest of them out in a second. Even the Cat is basically a good person, in his naively selfish way. I'd hate to see good people die for Rimmer. I'd hate to see Talkie Toaster die for Rimmer!

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'd say the Cat too. He was a fascinating character in series 1 and 2, but after that gradually became less unique and less interesting.

As far as minor characters are concerned, it would have to be Bird Man or Kill Crazy, both of whom were ridiculous and poorly played.

4. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    Kill Crazy?? Poorly played?? Are you mad?? Kill Crazy IMO was fantastic

5. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

It's simple- just reduce Rimmer down to his light bee, and you'll then have all of the Dwarfers on the escape pod then :P

6. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Lister could swalow Rimmer again :-D And problem solved

7. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Hmm, a dilemma indeed.

The Cat would certainly be a viable option for the leave behind as he seemed to become more and more domesticated with time, losing what made him such fun at the start.

Personally I found Kryten to be a bit of a pain at times, especially as he did so unpleasantly usurp the role of Holly (who I've always had a soft spot for).

But among the main characters, it would have to be Kochanski, as she just felt poorly created in the later stages (no offence to Chloe Annett!). Of the boys, I would agree with the Cat being my least favourite, further down the line at least. I guess if he kept his attitude the same throughout it wouldn't change the thought though, as he'd just be a bit annoying really without any form of evolution of characters.

Side characters - tempting though it is to give it to Rob Grant or Mike Agnew for their cameos :P (just kidding fellas), I would go for Birdman. He was just a.... "what's the point?" for me.

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Imagine if he reactivated in hardlight mode before... you know... passing through.

SPLAT!

Heh, heh.

(Sorry my mind goes to a warped place sometimes.)

9. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Lol :-D

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Really? I thought it was a terrible performance: exaggerated, unconvincing, pantomime-esque and hammed up to the maximum. It was more suited to a children's sit-com.

11. Paul Taylor

...or to Red Dwarf series 8! Which, let's face it, had a heavy slapstick element. I liked that character all the same.

12. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Basically you mean Immature? The scenes he did had me in Stictches. Two faves spring to mind the fight scene where time was delayed, and also when he emerged from the dive bell only to knock himself out cold on the doorway.

13. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Ladies and Gentlemen, bonk on basket ball, and budgey T-rex, which doesn't make sense.
    I'd say cat becomes slightly redundant, i'll agree with Morton: No disrespect to Chloe but Kochanski is not the best, and if i have to choose from the core Dwarfers, Cat.

14. Paul Taylor

Poor kitty! No-one seems to want him around.

15. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Lol He had some fantastic Lines in Red Dwarf and He would be sorely missed, But it has to be said The other three played much more into the story. Perhaps if He had got that episode all about him then the results would be different. I still Like them all equally and as this question is only hyperthetical I'd say I want to keep all of them in. If the situation were true I'd come up with someway to get them all in.

16. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Don't think it is so much nobody wants him around. Like Mario said, the other three just played much more into the story. He started out far better than he finished, although had more than his fair share of great lines throughout the series. He just seemed to evolve into a weaker character than the others.

17. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Yeah I'm sorry, I'd have to go with Cat as well.

18. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

I'd go for Brannigan, the ship's psychiatrist. It'd be a wrench, but I'd just have to learn to do without him.

(What was so tough about this question?)

19. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

The question is tough if you try to think about a central character, espeically one of the boys.

20. jacksolomonsmith

jacksolomonsmith First Technician

Yes the core cast is hard, kill crazy and the rest would be easy to suck out of an air-lock but not the Red Dwarf posse.