Bloody Fantastic!! now... onto.. Episode Ideas

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mervdub, Apr 13, 2009.

1. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I think there will more than likely be another special rather than another series. I doubt Dave could ever fund a series, certainly not in a credit crunch.

I think these would be good centered around the search for Kochanski. Like a quest across the galaxy, could mostly take place on Starbug and outdoor sets made to look like moons / whatever, so could be made to a moderate budget, perhaps a bit higher than last time, perhaps even borrowing ideas from the lost Series VII episode. Kochanski could have been captured and is now for sale at a simulant slave market or something. Certainly the way the Shepperton street turned into a chinatown market turned out, I can see it being done on peanuts.

This for me would be a good Series VI style episode with a lot of chance for dialouge. I also think locking the four into Starbug's cockpit one more time for some epic dialogue based action would be good. The Starbug set is so good because it effectively imprisions the cast into a situation, whereas on Red Dwarf they tend to wander off and do their own thing.

2. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I think more bunk-room gang banter would be much apreciated as going back to star-bug would be another controversial move because many many fans want it back on the Dwarf.

3. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Original Sin

One leak will sink a ship: and one sin will destroy a sinner. - John Bunyan

Pre credits: Bobby leaning out of small broom cupboard door and promptly slams it again as 2 crew members pass. As he leaves, the first 3 lines from 'The End' echo down the corridor.
    Credits
    Title and quote
    Kochanski, Lister, Cat and Kryten return back Red Dwarf to find Rimmer(VIII) missing. Holly last saw him go into the Cargo bay and has no word since. They assume he's got himself stuck and split up to search.

During Kryten's search, he picks a glowing piece of rubbish and is teleported to the HQ of Reality Patrol. They brief him on a plot to seal Red Dwarf's drive plate, thus stopping the radiation leak. They transfer his mind to a familiar faced infiltration Droid and at Kryten's insistence, sends his body with a replacement personality back to help look for Rimmer(VIII). This personality then goes back (with David Ross voice + personality), Cat and Lister too self obsessed to notice.

Rimmer(VIII) is in the past watching Rimmer(I) fix the Drive plate. Rimmer(VIII) then chloroforms Rimmer(I), drags him and shoves him into a stasis booth.

Kryten is now at the observation point by the drive plate watching a cloaked figure starting to undo the welding around the drive plate. He shoots them with a peashooter and lands a teleporter tag on the cloak. Both Kryten and the cloaked figure are teleported away and end up at HQ.

The cloaked + welding masked figure turns out to be Rimmer(VII)and the architect behind the entire plan. Kryten and Rimmer(VII) are due to be returned to their normal time frame but Rimmer(VII) asks Rimmer(VIII)'s fate. Rimmer(VIII) is shown a video standing in the drive room correctly telling the Captain he had nothing to do with the smegging drive plate. Then the video shows the weld giving away and the crew turn to dust. As the two teleport out, Reality Patrol points out the original weld wouldn't have caused the leak...

Kryten (in his own body) and Rimmer(VII) arrive in the sleeping quarters just in time to see the entrance of Cat, Kochanski, Lister... and Rimmer(VIII), whom they found in a stasis booth! Rimmer(VIII) threatens his hologram counterpart.

Epilogue:
    Arnold Judas Rimmer
    Died in a gunpowder explosion
    Resurrected Nano-constructed duplicate
    Died in a radiation leak
    Resurrected as a hologram
    Death Imminent!

4. elCrawler

elCrawler Third Technician

Wardrobe Malfunction:
    The Cat's love of clothes quite literally blows up in his face when his wardrobe is destroyed in a freak accident. With most of his clothes collection utterly ruined, Cat does a runner to try and get some new sharp outfits, leaving the others to try and find him. After looting an old settlement on a Simulant-controlled moon, The Cat is narrowly rescued by his crewmates.

5. darthstuey

darthstuey Skutter

I'm sorry but what did you like- honestly- in any of these episodes? I have been a Red dwarf fan since 1988 and this was awful. The actors looked bored; the script was not funny; the budget was non-existent; and the remainder looked like an advert for a dodgy cable channel.
    After 10 years you were happy with this? Please explain why before going on about another series because I'm scared about that thought.

6. Gluben

Gluben Second Technician

Friend

Lister becomes more determined than ever to find Kochanski and other human life, something which Rimmer is not keen on, as only he is allowed to make fun of Lister, not other humans. But Kryten informs them that in order to continue, they need to get supplies. The nearest option is a gestalt planet, but Holly's programming will help to convert some of the crop life into food. The Cat, meanwhile, despite his vanity and fashion sense, tries to support Lister as best he can, but soon begins to feel lonely at not having one of his kind to communicate, so his delight reaches epic proportions when the crew finds a shadowy figure and bring it on board. When it first sees Cat, it does everything he does, imitating his very nature and voice. The others, however, become suspicious when he begins to befriend them and mimic them too, and Cat soon hates himself even more for seeming to push him away, deciding to dress as his opposite (Duane Dibbley) to win him back. Kryten deduces that he is a gestalt entity like Legion was, but instead of being comprised of several consciences, he can only sustain one, and thus latches onto the nearest being that resembles a human and imitates it. They release it back to his planet, and Cat feels worse than ever, but Lister consoles him - by getting past his vanity, he is becoming more human and more appealing to Lister as a friend.

Parent Trap

Rimmer's parents have been brought to the ship from the past and they instantly begin to show him an overwhelming amount of affection and, as a "special treat", use their scientific expertise to seek out human life quickly so that Lister will find Kochanski. Rimmer suspects that this treatment is from seeing him for the first time in 3 million years, but Lister suspects that they are not his real parents, as does the Cat, who smells that something isn't right. Soon, Rimmer himself wonders why they praise him so much, although he knows that they resemble his parents. Suddenly, a wormhole forms and a figure emerges - it is Ace Rimmer, who has returned from his travels and announces that they are his parents from Ace's universe, not Rimmer's. Lister assumes that he is one of the countless replacement Aces, and convinces him to let his parents take Ace home, but Ace refuses, allowing Rimmer the opportunity to go instead. As he departs, Ace removes his wig - it is the original Rimmer who left them from series VII. He had become so frustrated with life as Ace and couldn't shake off his cowardly self that he returned to his own universe. He confirms this by saying that he couldn't stand the Rimmer he met in the next universe ("There's only one Arnold J. Rimmer, and it's Arnold J. Rimmer!") and that he wouldn't even go back to live his life with his parents. Lister, however, points out that he must have changed a bit - he gave himself a second chance in life with his parents, albeit inadvertantly.

I'm also working on 4 more ideas which revolve around a story arc. My last episode is immense!

7. connell

connell First Technician

How about... POLYMORPH III!!!

No... Just no...

8. lexicrowley

lexicrowley Third Technician

I like this idea. Just the ZX Spectrum game idea is fantastic for its nerdiness. A game of Pong, though, I think would be fantastic, or Asteroids. :lol:

But having Rimmer living with a monkey, a calculator and a cat would be great. He'd start off all "This is wonderful", gibber about how great it is not to have Lister smegging everything up and being able to finally follow Space Corps procedure perfectly... Then, there'd be like a "Three months later" thing and he'd just be going completely mad and set out to reverse the damage done. I think the catalyst for the time line ***up should be an item of food dropped through one of those time hole things by Lister - a sandwich, for example - that has enough bacteria in it to kill off all living things and force all of evolution to start again from scratch.

I think the more this looked like a guy with his head and shoulders replaced with that of a fish, the better. Just this really tall person with this really dumb face sticking out into the air uselessly, that'd be fantastic.

9. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

SS Rimmer

On the journey to find Kochanski, the crew discover a starship bearing Rimmers name and go to investigate. There appears to be no life forms until Kryten activates the main computer and a personnel log confirms a dozen people trapped in statis. The ship is has dimensional capabilities and all is well until the crew discover the ship is about to jump but is on a collesion course into a black hole. A computer video readout from a Commander Rimmer reveals that only his voice command will unlock the ship from its course, but only after the ship jumps.

What will our Rimmer do? Will he sacrifice himself to step up and navigate the ship in an alternative dimension and save the sleeping crew? Tune in and find out....:P

10. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

The crew of Red Dwarf discover a crashed ship which contains a computer on onboard that can resurrect solid illusions of people by constructing them from your memories. The computer reads your mind and constructs whoever is most important to you. After Lister recreates Kochanski, Rimmer has a go but to his horror, it's his father who is created. It turns out that his father is most important because he never got his approval and the pent up pain will kill him unless he resolves it. As Lister begins to realise that the people the computer creates are pale immitations of the real people, Rimmer gets locked in a deadly battle of wits with his father (cue humiliation for Rimmer) Meanwhile the cat has a lenghthy discussion with himself about clothes. Kryten declines to create anyone and instead tries to help Rimmer with his battle.

In the end Lister decides that he can't settle for a fake Kochanski and decides to leave. Rimmer has a breakthrough when Kryten scans some records and discovers that Rimmer's father was not the father of Rimmer's brothers. He now can blame his failures on genetics and feels much better (although Kryten could just be lying) they all leave.

Only downside is Kochanski would have to make an appearence :lol:

11. SmegOnYourFace

SmegOnYourFace Third Technician

Oh my God! Mind Over Matter - what are great idea! I can kind of feel an 'Event Horizon' parody there (ie finding a familiar ship with no crew, things not quite what they seem) Really, a lot of the episodes posted on here really have that series 1-6 feel about them.

12. dunc7827

dunc7827 Skutter

they could meet one of the cat ships that left red dwarf and they could try to take back red dwarf

13. Stasisleak

Stasisleak Skutter

Love the ideas posted so far, Red Dwarf is best when the story is wrapped up in one episode.

I had a thought on what would happen after BTE, based around Lister's vow to get Kochanski back.

Lister informs the others that he wants to track down and recover Kochanski. Kryten regretfully informs Dave that it isnt possible, there are no ship to surface vessels and with Holly offline changing the Red Dwarfs direction was a huge task normally undertaken with the support of a department of Astro navigation officers. All they have is the Cats Nose and Krytens ability to run 24 hours a day keeping an eye on the path ahead of them.
    So Lister decides to dry Holly out and patch the computer back together - he's repaired Kryten - how hard can it be?
    Eventually Holly comes back on line, They set about preparing to search for Kochanski.
    However, Holly once online discovers that she is on board. She never left the ship, she just went elsewhere to get away from the rest of them.

Or she could have left the ship and then the direction of the programe could change, Lister would not be heading directly back to Earth, but trying to track down Kochanski.

14. Stasisleak

Stasisleak Skutter

Or i thought they could come accross a planet that some of the Cats who left the Dwarf have inhabited and made home, built cities etc their own 'earth' They recognise Lister as 'God' and ask him to stay

15. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Lister and Rimmer get capture by an alien race that put them in a zoo to mate :lol:

16. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

I must say, I started reading this post with a bit of trepidation; but some of these ides (and other threads) are very good.

Might I suggest a competition, Andrew?

To submit a plot idea and it to be turned into an episode should the next series happen...? It would just need to be a paragraph rather than a script and I think some of these ideas could work well...

17. nealos1

nealos1 Third Technician

we starting before back to earth ?
    kochanski still on board ?

the nanos repair the ship but take away all the crew they re created including rimmer and intelligent holly plus reform red dwarf to its original look. maybe ace rimmer can show up since the rimmer been created should allow him to jump to a dimension he's already visited only he should still be a coward who's been running dimension to dimension to escape something thats after him.
    maybe that could trigger off the nanos deleting the crew since they think they made a mistake making a second rimmer.
    and then onto monster of the week which is whatever coward "ace rimmer" is running from (of course he's been thinking what the hell am i doing since he jumped off starbug)
    yeh i'm not very creative but wow thats better than back to earth was already

would like a suggestion that not all the personalities were accurate and the tank never existed but the nanos got fiction and non fiction mixed up facts blah blah

BTE must of really effected me
    lol i actually tried so i must be upset

p.s whoever funded it would make their money back because fans are loyal
    for example i'm going to buy back to earth - good grief i really am

18. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

I think if we're coming up with 'movie parody' episodes, the wizard of oz would be a mega appropriate one.

Considering red dwarf is actually a lot like the wizard of oz, there being a tinman (kryten), a lion (cat), an re-animated corpse/scarecrow with no brain (rimmer), a human who just wants to go home (lister), and the wizard of oz: a floating head (holly), and theyre all stuck in a city in the sky (red dwarf).

Dunno who the wicked witch of the west is, though. Kochanski?

19. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

Sounds like a solid concept for an episode about getting Holly working again!

20. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

a link to home
    Red Dwarf is zooming through space when a sister ship of the small rouge one (Purple Dwarf?) falls out of a wormhole with what seems to be an alien crew on board, using kryten they manage to negotiacte a trade of suppliys and rimmer's light bee for some starbugs, blue midgets and a reboot package for holly, as the the RD crew are leaving they discover that rimmer, not wanting to be traded had suplimented his light bee with a fake, leaving a smegged of PD crew, with a breif space battle following the RD crew use a metiorite to destroy PD only to discover that the crew Of PD weren't alien