Bloody Fantastic!! now... onto.. Episode Ideas

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mervdub, Apr 13, 2009.

1. mervdub

mervdub Skutter

First of, was glad to see all the guys looking well. Wasnt sure what 10 years would of done to em, but each and every one still looking good and able ;-)
    As for the 3 BTE ep's Enjoyed them, very much infact. nice and varied in location and twists, Series 8 i think kind of lost that, got a bit to . . . . erm. slow?! Stale?!
    Still. I hope the guys have gotten the green light from Dave to carry on. Theres gotto be another 2 series left in the Dwarf, even if just to bring us up to date with BTE.
    Some plot suggestions:
    1 Hide and Seek. The boys play hide and seek on the Dwarf. Due to the size of the ship, it goes on for almost a year, involving
    imaginery friends, roid rot kicking in on Kryt's etc.. Goes quite mad and trys to mate the ship with a passing nunnery space liner.
    2 Missing link, Something bizarre happens in the time lines causeing evolution to hit a snagg. Cat becomes a ... Cat, Lister becomes a monkey and Kryten a calculator, holly a zx spectrum computer game, maybe manic miner or sumit. Leaving Rimmer as a soft light hollagram, not sure what happens then, just the thought of a monkey knocking hell out of a calculator with a soggy bannana cracks me up... a hem.:roll:
    3 Rimmers Dinner. Rimmer accidently flushes his self down the toilet into outer space, sparking of a search party, only to find rimmer on a small mood populated by millions of dwarf fans. apparently the goverment of a zero tolarance earth shipped them all to a moon because they were causeing unrest at a convention in 2040. Rimmer is encased in a display case the rest have to free him from a load of nerds who's weapon is unbearable dwarf knowledge, casuseing internal bleeding and brain rot..

Thants about all for now. Anyone else got any ideas to help "the creater" get writing again?
    :shock:Merv

2. bar10dr

bar10dr Third Technician

Love your first idea, that would be an awesome show!

3. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Idea 3 makes me think of Futurama "where no fan has gone before", with all the Star Trek episodes being launched into space and it being banned on earth, only for some nutter to find it and became the ultimate trekkie, essentially imprisoning the crew (indirectly). Although I fail to see how insane levels of dwarf knowledge can cause so much damage... but then again I don't know what has happened to people I have unleashed that knowledge on before :P

4. SugarD

SugarD Skutter

I signed up because i had an idea last night after a few too many beers.

Anyway, the human race at some point in the 3 million years or so the dwarf has been in deep space, realised their loneliness and insecurities at being the only intelligent life to inhabit the known universe. We therefore developed a "self evolving" gelf species and placed them on a far away planet with the genetic coding that it will evolve every few hundred thousand years or whatever.

Now the human race (Lister) must face its creation.

or something like that anyway!

Haha i also had a dream that there was a really charasmatic plant species and it asked cat where he bought his suits from

5. nelix847

nelix847 Third Technician

Yeah that what i was thinking. I think there should be an episode where we write down our ideas and the best ideas get picked and make a episode out of them. If you no what i mean. Where Naylor doesnt write a thing its purely the fans write it and he just picks the best.

6. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

That was, if my memory serves, a part of the story in "Better Than Life" the novel. The GELFs evolved over time to develop the Polymorph and Lister had to face a few of them over time during his extended stay on Garbage World. Ultimately it all came to the novel version of "Polymorph" of course and the finale of the book.

7. TheTarantula

TheTarantula Skutter

I'm awful at this sort of thing, due to having NO imagination, but I like the ideas I've heard so far :-)

8. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

I hope the record breaking viewing figures are enough to convince Dave to comission a new Series although if they did I'd hope it was a return to the classic comedy approach of old Red Dwarf, the filmic comedy/drama approach used for the special's just wouldn't suit a Series In my opinion and wouldn't appease my need for nostalgia...

9. mervdub

mervdub Skutter

ha ha, how sweet it would be for the fans to collectively write "the perfect episode"
    Idea 3 may well, work better as a load of Trec fans, holding the boys charged for mimicing
    the "gods" if you like. (im no trec fan btw so am guessing there would be similar episodes or
    sinarios)
    Could be in court showing on screen the similar situations. Mind you,I kind of think this whole
    (actors in a show) has been pretty much covered in Back To Earth.
    Would love to see the real life versions of Futureama meet up with the Dwarf. would be well cool. Lister
    falls for Lila, Fry goes metal and Bender introduces Alcohol to Kryten. Could be a great move for Dave and Fox.:shock:
    Still like the Hide and Seek one :lol:

10. mrsmith

mrsmith Third Technician

here's an idea for an episode names 'hollyday': holly (if he's in the next series) get bored doing the same old jobs day after day and decides to go on well' a 'hollyday' leaving Lister, rimmer, the cat and kryten speeding towards a large sun or planet
    with no means of controlling the ship. when the crew try to look for holy they discover a note from holy explaining why he's disappeared and a clue to his whereabouts. Lister and the cat go off looking for holly leaving kryten and rimmer to attempt to work out holly's clue. kryten and rimmer work out that holly is in the cargo hold and radio Lister and the cat to tell them where holy is. all the crew meet in the cargo hold to try and find holy but find some kind of alien creature or monster lurking down there (could be a monster evolved from one of Listers old socks or maybe even the second polymorph) after getting round this they then find holly and persuade him to turn himself back on. they only convince him just in time to move red dwarf onto a new course and miss the planet/sun

only problem with the episode is that it is two long if the red dwarf episode were 45 mins this could be ok other wise it would probably have to be a two parter:lol:

11. mervdub

mervdub Skutter

lol, love the Hollyday, but your right 24 - 30 mins is just not long enough, need a good 45 mins from now on. Even an hour wouldnt go a miss ;-)

12. JEZZMUND

JEZZMUND First Technician

Unfortunately - episode timings are something that's rarely decided by the writer(s) of a program,
    it's usually down to program time slots and / or money restrictions...

but 45mins or a hour of dwarf at a time would be lovely ;-)

13. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

A bit of fan smeggery (and another deathday for Rimmer).

Some great ideas here! Wouldn't mind some classic stand-alones after the three parter!
    Fingers crossed we actually get another series!

14. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

fantastic ideas, especially the first Hide and Seek Idea. Hell I wish the specials were three individual episodes, with that being one of them. Would have been far better.

15. mervdub

mervdub Skutter

I think that format is what i miss most, the whole story in one sitting, i know it may lead to cropping down the ideas but it worked so well for the earlier series. Would be nice to have a senario per episode again.
    Still, not that i didnt enjoy the BTE specials, very good infact.
    :P

16. Strata

Strata Skutter

For the first time on Red Dwarf, the Cat goes completely and utterly missing.
    Not just, gone for a prowl around the maintainance decks; Lister brings up the digital supplys list and checks the stock of fish related products; they haven't been touched for 36 hours...
    But without a blue midget or a starbug vessel missing, where the smeg had he gone then?
    Which brings up an important question. Not one of Lister, Rimmer and Kryten (Holly is still drying out) know even where the Cat is sleeping around these days. Rimmer makes a powerpoint presentation detailing the situation to Lister and Kryten, and they all take pot-shots on the last whereabouts of the creature known as the Cat.
    They soon manage to bring up corrupted cctv footage taken from one of the shopping floors, with one very clear audio message still intact:
    "Stand back I said -I have hair straighteners, and I'm not afraid to use them! Guys, if you somewhere on the ship trying to find my perfect self; it's the Suits -they are out to get me! Wwwhaarrggghh-"

17. mervdub

mervdub Skutter

lol, love it!

18. Bewareofthephil

Bewareofthephil Third Technician

Just a few ideas... kinda randomly made up as I go along.

MIND OVER MATTER
    -With all the Starbug and Blue Midget craft gone (when Red Dwarf was abandoned in series 8), the crew have been restricted to the rouge one for ten years. Rimmer is studying for another attempt at the astro-navigation exam. This time, he KNOWS he can do it. When they discover a Starbug drifting through space, completely unmanned, they pick it up. When Lister, Cat and Kryten take it for a test flight however, they realise all is not quite right. The bug locks onto a nearby moon automatically, landing at a small quarry used for mining. However, the survivors from the Starbug craft have been alone on the moon for ten years, and they have turned savage. Can Rimmer rescue the boys before they are made into stew? More importantly, will he skip his exam to do it?

BOYS FROM THE DWARF
    -A dimensional wormhole appears next to Red Dwarf, and a mail pod flies through to the ship. It contains a video letter from Lister's twin boys, Jim and Bexley. Their "Mother" is dead, along with the Dog. With just Krytenne, and Hilly left, their ship has been damaged by a meteor storm. Jim, Bexley, Krytenne and Hilly make their way to our Dwarf on one of their Starbugs, and have a warm welcome from Lister, Cat and Kryten. Rimmer, however, wants them off the ship after taking immediate dislike to all of them. After lots of classic Red Dwarf humour :-)-p), Kristopher Kochanski appears from the alternate dimension as a hard light hologram. Now the alternative crew must decide to take their chances in our reality or their own. Either way, they use the interim to help fix Holly. Features the return of Hattie Haydridge as Holly and Hilly!

FISH UPON A STAR
    -The Cat develops a fish allergy. With his favourite snack, meal and muchies all being fish, he is positively suicidal. Kryten attempts, with the equipment in the medilabs, to engineer a goldfish which Cat is not allergic to. It all goes a bit wrong, though, when the fish emerges from its creation pod as a humanoid. With a terrible memory and general moronic behavior, its not long before The Fish jepoardises the safety of the entire ship. Can the boys put an end to The Fish's diabolical stupidity? What DO you do with a 5'9" talking humanoid fish anyway?

19. VindaloovianPrincess

VindaloovianPrincess Skutter

More movie parodies?

1. Species - where the movie had humans create a half-alien, half-human girl who grew into a woman obsessed with reproducing and killing anything in its way... Well, a bunch of guys alone on a ship would probably be into her at first. Annnd, it goes with the whole 'humans created all monsters' theory

2. Predator - I don't think they've referenced this yet, I could be wrong tho as my re-watching the old episodes is only up to series 3... Anyway, the predators find Red Dwarf and decide to go hunting - with Cat and Lister in the firing line.

3. Gremlins - Lister gets a gift of a mogwai - like Gizmo (as in the original story, an ambassador from a distant planet sent mogwai as gifts to other races on other planets) and obviously it all goes wrong. Thus, leading to a death match around all the tunnels and pathways all around Red Dwarf.

I know... I'm not being verrry creative, but I love it when they reference movies! Camille and Casablanca, Polymorph and Alien...

I like the ideas of Hollyday and Hide and Seek a LOT! And I suppose the one with Cat and the fish would be good - "I'm gonna eat you little fishyyyy!!'

Then, if they were to end the show - have Lister marry Kochanski a la "Stasis Leak" in series one; and back to Fiji!!!!!

20. RotootHununga

RotootHununga Third Technician

I thought it would be a good idea to resume the search for Kochanski at the end of the Special.
    Have a message from Kochanski come to them asking for help and off they go for more adventures imbued with a new sense of urgency and a mission.